For as long as I can remember, I have had a sweet tooth. Cakes, pastries, desserts are some of my favorite foods. I will say that despite my love for the sweet and sugary, I am very picky.
The cakes must be fluffy, the pastries delicate and the desserts, delicious. That is why my sister Ammaarah is an extremely talented baker; she has a very mean critic that she has to deal with!
They are really simple to make, even I could do it!
1 cup milk, warm
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 packet yeast
2 cups self-raising flour
50g self-raising flour (additional)
1/2 tsp baking powder
margarine, to cover the dough
dark brown sugar, for sprinkling
2oz cream cheese
1tbsp margarine, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup icing sugar
1. Butter skillet and set to one side. If you don't have a skillet, use a heavy based pan you can put in the oven or a cake tin.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the warm milk, melted margarine and granulated sugar.
3. Heat in the microwave for 10 seconds and then sprinkle in the yeast. Set aside for a minute.
4.Add the 2 cups of self-raising flour and mix until just combined. Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 C
6. After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size. Remove the towel and add the additional 50g of flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
7. Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
8. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about ½-inch thick. Fix corners to make sure they are sharp and even.
9. Spread enough margarine evenly to cover the dough, a thin layer a bit like toast
10. Sprinkle evenly with dark brown sugar and cinnamon.
11. Roll up the dough, forming a log. Cut the log in half, then divide each half into 13 pieces.
12. Place cinnamon rolls in skillet. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
13. Remove plastic wrap. Bake the cinnamon rolls in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, until dough isn't raw.
14. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, melted margarine, vanilla essence, milk and icing sugar until smooth.
15. Remove the cinnamon buns from the oven. While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting.
Serve hot some vanilla ice cream for the ultimate dessert.
Recipe adapted from Tasty
Also, I will be posting more behinds the scenes kind of stuff on Instagram stories so be sure to follow me and check it out!!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin