Spicy Chinese Pepper Chicken
I'm sure you all know this by now, but my mum is super inventive and awesomely talented cook.
So when I come home on the weekend I look forward to trying out something new she has created.
In this case, it was this spicy chicken with red peppers. We had this with chapattis but my younger sister was digging in with both hands so you could freestyle.
Anyway, the key to this is marinating it as long as you can. On the day we only had an hour to marinate but overnight is always the best.
Serve hot with rice, chips or chapattis!
1 chicken, clean and cut into pieces
salt, to taste
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 green chillies, ground
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
5-6 curry leaves
1 red pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
1 cup tomato ketchup
4-5 tbsp cornflour
sunflower oil, for deep-frying
1. For the marinade, mix together the salt, soy sauce, ground green chillies, vinegar, black pepper and add to the chicken to marinate for at least one hour, but preferably overnight.
2. In a pot heat oil and add the curry leaves, chopped red pepper, and onion and soften.
3. Now add in paprika, chilli flakes if you like things hot and cook until fragrant.
3. Pour in the ketchup and cook for 10-15 mins until the oil comes up. Put this to one side.
4. Coat your marinaded chicken in cornflour and deep fry till golden brown. This usually takes about 15 mins on medium heat.
5. Drain the chicken on some kitchen paper and add it to the sauce and mix. Cover this and cook for about 10 mins and serve hot!
Don't forget guys, I post every Mondays and Fridays so be sure to check in!
Also, I will be posting more behinds the scenes kind of stuff on Instagram stories so be sure to follow me and check it out!!