Mums Roast Chicken
Let's be honest, no one can beat Mum's cooking.
I mean mothers just cook in a very special way and trust me when you come home for dinner after being away for a week it is perfect.
I am doubly blessed because of my mum, comes from a line of brilliant cooks. All the ladies in my family pride themselves on their cooking skills.
Anyway, mum's roast chicken is the one!
Make this roast chicken with all the trimmings to go with it; roast potatoes, buttered veg, and because we're Indian, naan on the side :)
1 whole chicken, skinless
2 tbsp ginger paste
2 tbsp garlic paste
1 cup yoghurt
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/4 tsp orange food colouring
1 tbsp dried fenugreek, crushed
fresh coriander, a small handful, ground
2 tbsp oil
2-3 tbsp butter, ,melted
1. Wash and clean your chicken and score the chicken on the breast and legs, leave your chicken whole.
2. Rub half of the ginger and garlic paste onto the chicken and leave for 10-15 mins.
3. In a bowl, combine the yoghurt, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, black pepper, chilli flakes, orange food colouring, dried fenugreek, remaining ginger, and garlic paste and the ground coriander. Marinate the chicken overnight or for at least 2-3 hours.
4. In a pot, add the oil and the whole chicken with all the marinade. Cover and cook for 30 mins or until fully cooked on medium heat.
5. Place the cooked chicken on a roasting tray and brush with the melted butter.
6. Roast on 150 degrees Celsius for about 20 mins till golden.
Serve hot with all the trimmings!
Don't forget guys, I post every Mondays and Fridays so be sure to check in!
Also, I will be posting more behinds the scenes kind of stuff on Instagram stories so be sure to follow me and check it out!!