8-10 almonds, peeled and sliced
10-15 pistachios, shelled, peeled and sliced
1 cup rice
4-5 cups of water
1/4 tsp yellow food colouring
juice of half a lemon
3 tbsp ghee
1-2 cinnamon sticks
2 green cardamom pods
10-15 glace cherries, cubed
1tbsp golden sultanas
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp saffron
2tbsp tinned pineapple chunks
1 heaped tbsp sliced coconut
1. Boil the rice and yellow food colouring in 3-4 cups of water.
2. Cook till the rice is 80% cooked. To test this, press a grain of rice between your forefinger and thumb and you should find only a small portion of the rice grain is uncooked. This takes roughly between 15-20 mins on medium heat.
3. Once the rice is cooked, drain and squeeze over the lemon juice and set aside.
4. In a separate pot on low heat, add the ghee, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, nuts, glace cherries and golden sultanas. Stir until the sultanas puff up.
5. Now add 1/2 cup of water, sugar and the saffron and mix till the sugar is dissolved.
6. Add in the drained rice, pineapple chunks and sliced coconut.
7. Reduce the heat and cover for 20 mins till the syrup has soaked into the rice.
Garnish with nuts and serve hot!
Don't forget guys, I post every Mondays and Fridays so be sure to check in!
Also, I will be posting more behinds the scenes kind of stuff on Instagram stories so be sure to follow me and check it out!!