2 cups basmati rice
1/4 cup red lentils (masoor daal)
2 tbsp vegetable/sunflower oil
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 green cardamom pods
5-6 black peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 cups water
salt to taste
2-3 whole green chillies
1 tsp butter
green and red food colour
fried onions, to garnish
1. Wash your rice by rinsing it with warm water three times and then soak in cold water and set aside.
2. Soak the lentils in some boiling water and set aside for 30 mins.
3. Heat the oil and add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cumin seeds, ginger paste, garlic paste and onion and saute till soft.
4. Now add in three cups of water, salt to taste, drained lentils and green chillies and bring to the boil.
5. Now add in the rice and butter and bring to the boil again.
6. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 15 mins.
7. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork and cook for a further 10 mins.
8. To finish mix your food colouring with a bit of water and sprinkle onto the rice along with the fried onions.
Serve fresh with daar or any other curry.
Don't forget guys, I post every Mondays and Fridays so be sure to check in!
Also, I will be posting more behinds the scenes kind of stuff on Instagram stories so be sure to follow me and check it out!!