Fijian Style Lamb Pulao
Look, I know I keep putting up lots of recipes that involve rice but I do love rice. so much. It is my favourite thing to eat. Biryani, Akhni, Pulao, Chinese fried rice all of them make my mouth water.
So here again is a variation on the classic lamb pulao, the spices used in here are slightly different so the taste is very flavourful. Paired with that famous coriander chutney and some spicy mango pickle and I am in heaven!
For the Garam Masala:
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp fennel seeds
2 green cardamom
1 tbsp black peppercorns
2 cups rice
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
a handful of black peppercorns (5-6)
2 - 3 cloves
1 piece of star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 - 4 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
1kg lamb pieces (on the bone)
salt, to taste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 - 2 tbsp dried fenugreek (Kasturi Methi)
3 cups water
2 tbsp butter
1. Wash 2 cups of rice under warm water 3 times and then soak in cold water for at least 30 mins
1. For the special Fijian garam masala: grind up the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, fennel seeds, green cardamom, star anise and peppercorns. Store in a container (you only need 2 - 3 tbsp of this mixture)
2. Heat oil in a pot and add the onions, bay leaves, black peppercorns, cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, black and green cardamom pods and saute till onions are golden.
3. Next add in the lamb, ginger and garlic and cook on medium heat for about 10 mins.
4. Now add in 2tbsp of the garam masa, salt, chilli powder and crushed fenugreek and cook for 30- 45 mins on slow heat until lamb is very tender.
6. Now add in 3 cups of water, taste for salt and bring to the boil.
7. Strain the rice and add to the pot with the butter and bring to the boil.
8. Turn down the heat and cook for 30 - 45 mins until the rice is cooked. Fluff rice with a fork half way through
9. Serve hot with coriander and yoghurt chutney
Original Recipe: This Muslim Girl Bakes
Don't forget guys, I post every Mondays and Fridays so be sure to check in!Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Also, I will be posting more behinds the scenes kind of stuff on Instagram stories so be sure to follow me and check it out!!