Butter chicken is a classic Indian dish and honestly? its one of my least favourite.
My experience has remained bland, greasy and just tasteless.
But this recipe is flavourful and has turned even me; a butter chicken hater into a lover.
Serve this with white rice or naan and you have a winner!
1kg boneless chicken
salt, to taste
chilli powder, to taste
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
10 toasted almonds
3 cardamom pods
2 cups yoghurt
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp oil
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tin of plum tomatoes, ground
1/2 litre coconut cream
1 tbsp fenugreek
1. Marinate the chicken with salt, freshly squeezed lemon juice, chilli powder for 1 hour.
2. Toast the cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and almonds till they are roasted. Grind these altogether along with the seeds from the cardamom pods to give a spice powder.
3. Mix together the spice powder you have made with yoghurt, cumin powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and add this to the chicken. Mix and leave to marinate for another hour.
4. Heat oil in the pan add the sliced onion till golden brown. Next, add the garlic and ginger pastes and chicken pieces (not the marinade sauces...this comes later) and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat till chicken is cooked.
4. Add the ground tin tomatoes, fenugreek, marinade sauces and coconut cream and simmer to reduce.
5. To finish off add the butter and serve with rice or naan.
To make this butter chicken extra special, grab yourself a piece of foil and make into a small bowl. Then heat a piece of coal and put it into the foil bowl. Put the bowl into your butter chicken, pour a tsp of melted butter on top of the coal and cover the butter chicken with a lid. Give it a minute or so and then remove the coal. This will give your butter chicken a smoky flavour and just give it that extra something-something.
Don't forget guys, I post every Mondays and Fridays so be sure to check in!
Also, I will be posting more behinds the scenes kind of stuff on Instagram stories so be sure to follow me and check it out!!